The R&D Formulator will develop innovative formulations for customers and identify opportunities for new formula generation. Closely working alongside the Product Development Manager, Quality Manager and Marketing/Merchandising teams, the R&D Formulator will help investigate technology development, concept development, and new product development, among other areas, and make recommendations to business operations, including Compliance and Quality departments.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Research and generate new product formulation designed for sports nutrition, weight management, wellness and exercise enhancement.
- Develop new products with technical and formulation excellence, including but not limited to tablets, capsules, powders, and liquids, and take ownership of the coordination and execution of high-quality benchtop, pilot and manufacturing scale-up batches for stability, sensory testing, and process evaluation purposes
- Work with the R&D and Operations teams to troubleshoot technical, formulation, and processing issues during product development.
- Work with Merchandising, Marketing, and Product Development to generate new formulations.
- Conduct competitive surveillance of key competitors’ products to identify opportunities to further differentiate new or existing private label products and assess market trends, including staying current on clinical research trends and new ingredient opportunities.
- Maintain accurate project information, formulations, and specifications, as well as make recommendations to ensure existing private label products are refreshed and leveraging consumer trends in the marketplace.
- Provide recommendations to PD Manager on feasibility of use of raw materials and/or make suggestions for possible changes
- Collaborate with the Quality Assurance department in the development of proper documentation for new formula and product development projects.
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams including personnel in Merchandising, Marketing, Quality Control, Purchasing, and Production on new product development and to resolve ingredient and product technical issues.
- Collaborate with contract manufacturing locations to develop formulas and conduct sensory evaluations.
- Prioritize and manage multiple projects and ensure the new product development pipeline is planned on a rolling 18-month basis.
- Support the Private Label team in managing communications and contracts with suppliers and trademark ingredient licensors.
- Maintain testing documentation files and coordinate signing off of all new/changed formulas
- Perform other assignments as requested by management.
- BS in Food Science, Chemistry, Nutrition/Dietetics, or related field required.
- 7-10 years R&D related experience in the dietary supplement or pharmaceutical industry.
- Familiarity with natural product chemistry
- Experience in product and formula development.
- Must be detail oriented, highly organized and possess strong communication and technical skills
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Documented ability to work collaboratively with cross functional teams.
- Familiarity with good manufacturing practices (GMPs) and regulations for dietary supplements (DSHEA) preferred.
- Knowledge of or personal interest in sports and wellness products preferred.
- Knowledge of WADA list of prohibited substances for professional athletes preferred.
Bodybuilding.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the employee assigned to this job.